11:57 AM
0
Hello lovelies! 
It's Meghan from Will Paint Nails for Food. When it comes to doing nail art, whether it's stamping, taping, freehand, splatter, or whatever else you fancy, let's face it, there's just some polishes that work better than others. 




The ladies of The Digit-al Dozen have put together their favourite nail art polishes. These are the ones we grab over and over again when we do nail art. The polishes that we buy back-ups for, and back-ups for our back-ups, and back-ups for our... okay you get the point! This post will cover all the basics - the blacks, whites, beiges, greys, and neutrals - and part two at a later date will tackle the full spectrum of colours.

There's no getting around it, black is essential. Forget the little black dress, the ladies at The Digit-al Dozen all have their little black polishes.



Kerrie of PishPosh and Polish loves W7 Black, here's what she has to say about it: "W7 Black is simply just a really good black nail polish, it has a perfect consistency that isn't too runny or too thick making it the perfect one coater! It's perfect for stamping as well as line work and details. Plus is is uber cheap if you live here in the UK!"

Source


Sue, of Creative Nail Design by Sue, instead loves her Cult Nails Nevermore: "Nevermore has fantastic application and is almost a one coater. I use it as a base in so many of my nail art designs. I also use it for stamping because it transfers well with great coverage." It's my go-to black polish" 

Source


 But I think finding the perfect white is even harder than finding the perfect black. 

Bee of Bee Polished loves her Zoya Purity: "I use my Zoya Purity almost constantly. It's a great white base and it's also really nice for punching up colors, like neons, stamping, and general line work."

Source
 

Debbie of The Crumpet is a huge fan of OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls, and check out what she has to say of this nail art favourite: "When OPI released My Boyfriend Scales Walls last year, it transformed my nail art. I don't "do" white polishes, but the off white, paper tones of MBSW were perfect for me, and I soon got through a whole bottle as the world of colour popping against a white background opened up to me."

Source
For Emma, of Manicurity, Orly Porcelain is one of the essential whites (or off-white) in her arsenal: "Orly Pure Porcelain is one of my go-to off-white polishes because it's a quick and easy 2-coater. I LOVE that it looks great and neutral without being super stark like a white polish can because it's a light pink creme!" 

Source


When it comes to nail art, beige and creams are anything but boring.  

Lindsey of Wondrously Polished loves her OPI My Vampire is Buff (I personally own 4 bottles of this stuff): "OPI's My Vampire is Buff is without a doubt my favorite nail art polish. It is the perfect off-white, cotton-y neural "buff" color that can work with ANY type of nail art. It often provides just the right amount of contrast that really takes your artwork to the next level. The formula is great and opaque enough that you can use it as a base color to artwork or as a part of your nail art. My use of My Vampire is Buff has ranged from realistic animal print to a funky and intricate stained glass look (and many more in between!). This is definitely a must have in any nail artists' arsenal."

Source


Jolène at Follow Gashin is a fan of OPI Don't Prezel My Buttons: "I like this because it's a nude tone that is a bit deeper, and while it leans pink in some lighting, in most lighting it's quite balanced. It's a new addition to my stash but one I'm looking forward to using as a base for a bunch of different nail art looks throughout the year-- because a good nude knows no seasons!"

Source


Ashley of Smashley Sparkles gets a lot of use out of Ciaté Cookies and Cream: "The neutral I reach for most often as a base for nail art is Ciaté Cookies and Cream. I like it because it goes well with my skin tone, and it isn't too pink or too yellow, just a nice sandy beige. The only way it would be better is if it was a one-coater!"

Source


Victoria from Manicurator describes why she likes Zoya Jacqueline: "I love it because it makes a great neutral base that has a warmth to it instead of stark white."

Source


A dreary grey sky will get anyone down, but surprisingly, grey polishes can be the perfect addition to a nail art look!

Who could leave out OPI Skull & Glossbones?! Kirsten of Geeky Owl describes why this is her favourite grey: "I love this polish as a base for my nail art. Good coverage in two coats and a great neutral for any background!"

Source


Kirsten can't get enough greys, because she also loves Essence Romeo: "Probably my favorite grey. I use it a lot as a base in nail art because it has great coverage and a wonderful formula. But it is from Europe, sad day, but luckily I have two!"

Source


As for me, I'm a huge fan of Girly Bits Elephant Shoe. It's a mid-value grey creme, not too warm and not too cool. It's the perfect base for so many glitters and it goes well with everything. Whenever I need a grey, which is surprisingly often, I always reach for that one.

Source

So there you have it! Are any of these polishes in your collection? Tell us, what neutral polishes do you use for nail art?